Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

It's 07:44 in Spain right now and I hear people outside my room in the street. Judging by the sharp sound of heels, it's a group of girls. Yup. Just peered out my window to see a group of about 6 scantily clad girls in club attire fumbling back to who knows where. I must say, the Spanish really do know how to party.

The sun is just barely peeking out above the horizon, but still...it's close to 8. Back in the States, people would be on their daily commute to work and life would seem like some amazingly orchestrated chaos. Yet here in Spain, everything is quiet. Apart from the drunken guys and girls coming back from what I assume to be an amazing night at the clubs, everything else is dead. Living next to a club, I better get used to the obnoxiously loud raging youth out by my doorstep. I should think of something entertaining to do...to them...on a daily basis. Hmm.



On another note. Today is 9/11. On this day, ten years ago, the United States of America witnessed the most horrific terrorist attacks ever committed against innocent civilians on her own soil. I was ten that day; starting my 4th day of school as a fifth grader. My grandpa, who lived on the other side of town, had driven all the way to my house that morning and rang the doorbell several times. At first when he broke the news, I thought he had said world train centers. I thought to myself, "wtf?" but soon turned on the TV and realized what he was talking about. I phoned several of my friends to inform them about what had happened, but being 10 years old, none of them cared. Since school hadn't started yet (Pacific Standard Time), I noted that school might be cancelled. I went anyway. 8:35AM PST the school bell rang and everything continued as if nothing happened. My friends laughed at me for thinking that school would be cancelled for no reason. Yet on the other side of the country, in Manhattan, it had been nearly two hours since both of the towers had fallen and nearly three since the first tower had been hit. On the other side of the country, there was chaos, panic, and fear. But there I was, attending and finishing my day at school like any other with people around me that just didn't seem to care. 2819 people died that day.

Needless to say, September 11th changed America. It began a new era. Apart from the formation of the Dept. of Homeland Security and controversial policies like the Patriot Act, this new era and generation has seen the longest lasting war in U.S. history. According to Defense.GOV, as of September 10, 2011 10AM EDT, there have been:

in Operation Iraqi Freedom
 4,421 Deaths
 31,921 Wounded

and in Operation Enduring Freedom
 1,751 Deaths in OEF
 13,700 Wounded in OEF

Total
6,172 Deaths
45,621 Wounded

This day reassures me of the commitment I made to serve. I first signed the papers and made my oath when I was 17. Now 20, I have reaffirmed my commitment and it is official for the next ten years of my life. No regrets.

Never Forget.

God Bless to all those who have suffered.

1 comment: